Monday, March 19, 2012

Debunk the Funk / 3. All Feminists are the Same

You might be a radical if...
This is a fun post (particularly after the comments on the the last post).  There are many, many, many, many types of feminists out there with the only solidifying factor being that we all believe equality should be more salient than sex or gender (sex being one's anatomy, gender being one's actions and identity).  There are so many types with one or two differences that there is hardly even space (or attention span) to type or read them all.  However, according to sociologists, most types of feminism fit into one of three categories:  Liberal, Radical, and Global (or multicultural).

Liberal feminism focuses on reform, both social and legal- basically a fix it attitude.
Radicals, on the other hand, more or less feel that the only way to achieve equality is to start fresh sans patriarchy as a whole.  This includes all institutions that are modeled after a patriarchy including but not limited to government, religion, and schooling.
Global focuses on the interaction of age, race, class, etc and gender.  I think this category is exemplified by an experience of Michael Kimmel (awesome, awesome, awesome sociologist and friend of feminists everywhere).
Michael Kimmel, author of
The Guy's Guide to Feminism
A white woman and a black woman were discussing whether all women were, by definition, "Sisters," because they all had essentially the same experiences and because all women faced a common oppression by men. The white woman asserted that the fact that they were both women bonded them, in spite of racial differences. The black woman disagreed.
"When you wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, what do you see?" she asked.
"I see a woman," replied the white woman.
"That's precisely the problem," responded the black woman. "I see a black woman. To me, race is visible every day, because race is how I am not privileged in our culture. Race is invisible to you, because it's how you are privileged. It's why there will always be differences in our experience."


That story in and of itself shows just how diverse feminists can be simply because of other life factors.  However,  even more than these separate categories, here are some other factors that vary from feminist to feminist:

  1. Pro Life or Pro Choice.  Don't be fooled- some feminists would have you believe that in order to be a TRUE feminist you must be Pro Choice, but that is simply NOT the case.
  2. Some feminists believe that men and women are actually incredibly different by nature, meant for different roles in life, yet are of equal importance.
  3. Some feminist are loud, noisy activists.  Some are quiet, subtle activists.  I tried subtle for a while.  Apparently not my strong suit.  
  4. Some feminists are angry.  Some are hopeful.  Some are both.
  5. Some feminists are conservatives, some are liberals.  
  6. Some feminists are religious, some are not.
  7. Some are young, some are old.
  8. Some are men!
  9. Some oppose gay marriage, some do not.
  10. Some don't realize they are feminists.
Being a feminist has one requirement:  believing in equality regardless of gender.  Everything else is an individual quality of a particular feminist.  What makes you unique?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

whoa I just found out I am a feminist!!! Holy crap!!!!

B McC said...

Yay!! Blogic Success.

Sarah said...

Can you expand further on point number one? I'm having a hard time seeing how feminism and a pro-life stance can really coexist.

I'm having a hard time putting what rubs me the wrong way about this into words, so maybe seeing your reasoning will help?

B McC said...

Sarah,
I definitely want to answer your question, but I am going to get some sources together first. That way, you can check them out yourself as well.

Sarah said...

Sounds good :-)

B McC said...

Well, Sarah, I have been looking for one book in particular, but I seem to have misplaced it. However, it's #5 on this list (http://mormonfeminist.blogspot.com/p/suggested-reading.html). It's has an awesome- if not somewhat unexpected- anti-abortion view that is from the standpoint of it being cruel to the woman.
I think Pro Life feminists generally (I could be wrong) think of abortion issues as completely separate from feminist issues. Personally, I categorize birth control access as a right (and one that needs to be fought for), but abortion (particularly late term) feels more like an opinion about a social/political issue separate from women's issues (taxes for example).

Worth mentioning are some famous feminists who were pro life:
Susan B. Anthony
Mary Wolstonecraft
Elizabeth Cady Stanton

I can't really say too much personally on the subject because it is an issue I am not strongly situated on myself. I can give you links to some super Pro Life Feminists.
http://www.feministsforlife.org/
http://www.fnsa.org/v1n4/maloney.html
http://slv80.tripod.com/prowoman.html

Sarah said...

Ok, here is where I stand: Leaving the choice to continue a pregnancy up to a woman is giving her autonomy over her body; what feminists seem to strive for. Legislating that choice away seems very paternalistic. Like, one step away from head-pats and "we know what's best for you." I don't feel being pro-choice is that same as being anti-life. And that's where I'll leave it, because I know we probably have different views on this.

B McC said...

I actually agree with you in theory. Everything in my structural minded self agrees, but my heart pulls me in the other direction.

Most of the comment earlier was giving information, not trying to convince you because you do have a solid argument.

Sarah said...

I think your heart pulling you in the other direction should govern your personal choices more than the choices of others.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...