Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tidbits from the week

This week has been hard for me, so there is no real put together topic for this post-  it's going to be a little of this, a little of that.  I started my week seeing another feminist secret this week on the Post Secret Blog.  It served as a reminder to me that we are all hypocrites until we're perfect (which I don't really believe to be attainable in this life), so we need to cut others and ourselves some slack.    To the author of this secret:  You are not a failure-  you need help and support.  Don't we all?

I started my book review for Cinderella Ate My Daughter, by Peggy Orenstein.  Get excited for that because it was excellent book, and I have so much to say about it that it is turning into a huge project simply organizing my thoughts about it.  I feel like I am back in college writing a paper.  Anyone with a daughter-Heck, anyone with a kid or who has been a kid- I think you should read this book.  But more on that whenever I have the time to post my book review.

Last week while shopping for some kiddo stuff, I saw this little number in the infant section.  I haven't worked out the details in my mind, but I would rather my little swim naked than swim in this.  I think it has to do with naked being chalked up to her being a baby, but this swimsuit begin sexualization in infancy.  But how?  I need help identifying what it is that makes it so, but I truly believe naked would be more appropriate.  Please leave your ideas in the comments below.  Or if you feel like being more private about it, email me.

Here's another random:  I have noticed recently that it would seem I am more drawn to music from male musicians.  It's weird.  I noticed this because in trying to update my current listening enjoyment, I was trying to balance the female/ male contributions, but overwhelmingly, my musical taste leans towards male voices, with the exception of the Broadway genre.  In Broadway, I think I like female voices because then the range is good for me to rock out along with them.  I would be really interested in finding some statistics or readings on male versus female musicians.  Is this merely my taste in music or there a reason I lean towards male musicians?


While staying at my mom's over the holiday, Baby had the chance to play with both his toys and some of my childhood toys.  I have to admit, when I saw him playing with both his toy truck and my (now his) dollhouse, it warmed my heart and made me smile.  I've seen this meme going around in which a picture showing matchbox cars tucked into doll furniture is accompanied with the caption that this is what happens when you trying to disprove gender stereotypes.  To that I respond that trying to break gender stereotypes after a child has learned them is hard.  Starting from the get-go is another thing entirely.

Lastly, I have been debating whether or not to march in the Charleston Pride Parade this Saturday.  I really want to, but I'm sure there will be repercussions associated with it.  Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?  I would really love ya'll's feedback this week!

4 comments:

B McC said...

From Shannon:
Anyways in response to your first question. I don't agree with baby bakinis either. I think that our pour young ladies have the rest of their lives to have to be subjected to being over sexualized. Why start them early?
The second thing about not gender stereotyping to begin with I agree also. Kalea has the cutest blue and green Nike tennis shoes and I want her to wear them. I don't care if they are boys shoes. I just hate when people call her a boy every time I put her in blue and green. Its like...really does she have to wear pink and people for you to know she's a girl?
The last one...I say go to the rally. I am not sure what repercussions you were referring to. Tim and I went through one in Boston. I photographed it. It was fun! from what I understand us that its your choice to be able to support it our not. I know many lds that support gay marriage and want to show love and support to those people. I think the only reason why I wouldn't go is because lots of times there is a lot of scandalous sexy outfits and some questionable sayings written on t shirts:) lol. But that's the same reason I wouldn't want to go to a party of straight people who were parading around scantily clad :) lol sometimes at events like that it can get scandalous:) that's why I don't go clubbing anymore:) know what I mean?
Anyways those are my thoughts.

Unknown said...

Baby binki's are just no. And I'm with you on the gender stereotyping as well, I'm sure none of this is shocking. My son's favorite colors are purple and pink. He sometimes asks me to paint his nails, I oblige. He chooses how he wants his hair cut and if he wants it to be some sort of unnatural color I have no problem using a temporary spray. I want him to be comfortable and confident with who he is and to understand that he does have control over his body and the choices he makes. I won't allow him to get his ears pierced or anything permanent because he's only 4. But I see no problem with letting him make these small temporary choices. If you want to go to the march I say go. Anyone who knows you should be able to recognize the things you stand for and separate you from everyone else there.

Sarah said...

I disagree with baby bikinis. Something about the way it covers is suggestive and sexualized. The triangle tops suggesting boobs, maybe? Naked would be less sexualized, but I might opt for a suit just because I want extra barriers against the pervs of the world. Sad, isn't it?

The photo of cars in the doll cribs, I thought it was hilarious. There's obviously too many unknown factors to make a call on that one, so I don't take it as evidence that gender stereotypes are learned. Some people just like dolls better, right?

Sarah said...

Had another thought about baby bikinis.

I saw a dance interpretation of Wizard of Oz a long time ago. Naturally, the costumes were very close to leotards to allow for movement and because of the style of dancewear. The Dorothy character had a predictable short blue gingham dress over a leotard. With thigh-highs. The addition of the thigh highs made it look much more provocative than it would have without the thigh highs, even though, technically, they covered more skin.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...