Thursday, November 8, 2012

An Argument for Sex Ed

I am through with election thoughts.  What's happened has happened, and I do not want to dwell on the outcome of the election.  So, let's talk about other controversy, shall we?  

I've mentioned before that I am 100% all about comprehensive sex education in schools.  I have been rebutted with "But what about my values?"  "I don't want my kid learning that in school."  "That's against my religious beliefs."  And so forth and so on.  
Easy solution:  then write a note that gets your kids out of that class.  It's that simple.  I hold the belief that harming animals, even in the name of science, is not okay.  The day in seventh grade when the class dissected frogs, do you know what I did?  I wrote a paper on frog anatomy without ever touching a knife.  I hear that it's a parents job, responsibility, and right to teach their children about their own personal plumbing and that of the opposite sex, birth control, and intercourse.  That's great, but many parents don't.  If you want to teach your kids, by all means, but why limit those who need it?  

Here are some quotes to illustrate why I think we need comprehensive, age appropriate sex education in schools.  

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."
~Todd Akin

Do we even need to discuss this one?  Hopefully, everyone in America now knows that the female body doesn't have ways of shutting it down.  In fact, 20,000 rape victims in a year couldn't manage to shut that down.  

(In reference to statutory rape leading to pregnancy) "I just haven’t heard of that being a circumstance that’s been brought to me in any personal way and I’d be open to hearing discussion about that subject matter."
~Steve King

Now he says he's open to discussion on this (Which kudos to him), but if Mr. King had a simple sex ed class he would know that sex can make a baby regardless of the female being underage or even related to the rapist.  

"There is no such exception as life of the mother, and as far as health of the mother, same thing, with advances in science and technology."
~Joe Walsh

Oh, Mr. Walsh, I assure you, many women die from complications with pregnancy, and there is just nothing that medical science can do about it.  So, while I respect your opinion about abortion which is yours to have, your information to back that up is simply incorrect.  

"If the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual [gay] sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything…That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be."
~Rick Santorum

Clearly Mr. Santorum missed more than a sex ed class if he thinks sex with a dog (that phrase is probably going to generate some interesting internet traffic....) is the same thing as sex with another human being.  Two consenting adults is simply not the same thing as the list he tries to equate it with.

It would be easier to swallow if these were not extremely educated and successful men.  But they are on both accounts.  Clearly these men were not taught comprehensive or accurate information.  Clearly they could benefit from a lesson or two.  The other thing that stands out to me is that every  person in opposition of comprehensive sex education is Pro-life.  Do you know what would cut abortions way, way down?  Knowledge and access to birth control.  Fewer unwanted pregnancies = fewer abortions.  Values need to be taught at home.  If you send your kid to school, then they should be given an accurate education.  They can then apply their values to the knowledge.  

I'll close with an example:  
  1. Allen learns the Law of Chastity from his parents.  Meanwhile Lisa lives in a house where sex is not a topic of discussion ever.  Amber's parents taught her sex education themselves when they felt she was mature enough.
  2. Allen and Lisa go to school and learn that a condom will prevent pregnancy when used properly during intercourse.  Amber's parents wrote a note to excuse her to the library during this portion of the class.  
  3. Allen remembers the values his parents have taught him and decides to store that information for when he is planning his family with his wife.  Lisa uses a condom when having sex but does not get pregnant or an STD.  Amber still only has the knowledge her parents wanted her to have.
  4. Winning situation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you are correct, this is a horses for courses issue. I was brought up on a farm and it was impossible to not know about sex from an early age. And frankly I was a bit shocked at finding that humans went about things much like the bull, stallion and ram with the cow, mare and ewe.
Now if the red blue split on the maps on the USA from last night are correct I'd say the red areas have much the same upbringing since they are all countryside.
The thing is though, what at 12/13/14/15, mayhaps even 11, do we need to know. What information is core at that or any age. Well I would hold it is the fertility cycle. I have known women that hadn't a clue how to make that simple calculation.
You are far from the only area that has such issues though. There seems to be a true distrust of teachers giving out information on that subject that simply wouldn't be there was it another profession. Doctors for instance, nurses even, anyone it seems except teachers. There there is an issue.

Katie said...

Great post. I would add that one thing I learned last year (when I was doing research for the adolescent development class I taught) was that comprehensive sex ed is more than teaching about biology and birth control etc. Even though those topics are super important, comprehensive sex ed should also include how to make decisions about your own sexuality and stand by those decisions, and how to deal with unwanted sexual advances or pressure. As you suggest in your post, I think teaching the social/cultural aspects surrounding sex and how to make your own decisions about your sexuality is super important.

Katie said...

I looked back at my notes for things that should be included in a comprehensive sex ed program. They include: info about contraceptions, STDs, and pregnancy; learning how to refuse unwanted sex; learning how to avoid unintended sex; increasing motivation for safe sex; and changing perceptions about peer norms and attitudes (many teens think that everyone is having sex etc).

Anonymous said...

@katie; I think what you've just listed is what has parents bilking at allowing their teens access to sex ed. You've scared the bejapers out of me and I've no kids.
You want to inform kids, not terrify them. And delivering societal fears of a raft of teen pregnancies and a pandemic of STDs into the ears of a 14 year old is a waste of energy. They just don't think like that. They have a very narrow band of those they listen(a year above and a very few adults)and if you aren't in that band you are white noise.

mkgs said...

I love how clearly you write about these things, Blythe. This was my favorite: "Values need to be taught at home. If you send your kid to school, then they should be given an accurate education. They can then apply their values to the knowledge." I can't believe how hard a concept this is to get across, because it's just so simple. Perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...